18 January 2008

On my mind...

Sorry I've been so quiet on the blog-front lately. I wish there was some meaningful excuse, but the truth is that I've been busy trying to hunt down a job to insure some real life income and the new camera I purchased is back ordered and will not be here for a few more days. I know, I know... a blog can be written without pictures, but what fun is that! Never-the-less, here are a few things I've been excited about this week.
  • 5 for $5 Simplicity patterns at Jo-Ann. Get your fix today, because I think the sale ends Saturday!
  • The Martha Stewart isle at Michael's.
Let me just take a moment to speak a few words on Martha. With the recent folding of Blueprint, a lot of things have been said about MSLO (and Living in particular). I have subscribed to MSL for years and years, and I'm always delighted to receive the most recent issue in the mail. While the magazine does have a very traditional appeal and the articles are sometimes aimed at someone my mother's age, I have always found great potential for something I might like to do. Martha is forever simple and creative. MSL is really about how to live all areas of your life simply and beautifully. And oh how I like that.

Standing in that isle of pretty colored things, giant sheets of paper, and even glitter that looked like I should buy it, it reminded of a recent conversation I had during an interview at a local sewing store... The woman told me that the reason I can't find contemporary fabrics and patterns around is because the stores are run by and cater to more traditional sewers. I was shocked, although I don't know why, that has always been pretty obvious. But with the folding of Blueprint and the growing on-line community, sometimes I just wish things were more tangible.

A really big part of me starting a blog is because I want to be part of the community of makers that is out there. I am oftentimes discouraged that I can't find people around my own area that are interested in the same things. Sometimes I long for a more contemporary knitting groups with gals my own age, or a store that offers the fabric that I drool over on-line.

I'm not sure what this means, just some thoughts that have been on my mind.

No comments: