04 January 2008

First Project = Organization

Before I could embark on my first official sewing project, I decided that I had to get organized. Living in a small space (with literally no room for getting crafty and creative) means that giving a home to all my sewing stuff is essential. I opted to use up some of the scrap fabric that's just taking up space around here, and made some useful items too hold all of my sewing tools. 

First up was a tool roll, inspired by a pattern in Lotta Jansdotter's book Simple Sewing. Sadly, I do not own this book yet, however, I did spy several great patterns in it at the book store a few months back, and I've kept in the back of my mind. My tool roll may not do her pattern justice, but I think it will fit my needs just fine. I just stitched together some scrap fabric, and used the tools that were going to be housed in the roll to measure out how wide to make each of the sections. I also used a white twill tape for embellishment/ribbon closure... I would recommend finding a cotton twill tape/ribbon if you decide to make something like this. The type I used only comes in white and black, and was way to slick for my tastes.

I also made up a really quick little bag to hold all of my sewing machine's presser feet/attachments (the only complaint I have so far about this new machine is that the little tool compartment is way too small to hold anything). But this bag works great -- I would have liked to have made up a little zippered pouch but I didn't have any spare zippers around. But with the top folded over, none of the contents of the bag should spill out.


Once I heard that Miss LT purchased a new sewing machine (twins!--almost the same machines) over the holidays too, I just had to make her up some matching - sewing organizer pouch tool roll things - too!


No comments: